Short Term Rentals
Short Term Rentals have become very popular in the City of Austin. Many of these short term rental properties are located in and around Central Austin neighborhoods. If you are looking for Short Term Rental options please send us an email to info@AustinCityHomeSearch.com and we will send you a list of available short term rental properties that might work for you.
Here is a link to the City of Austin Website for Short Term Rental Application.
If you are a home owner and you are considering turning your Investment Property or Primary Residence into a Short Term Rental below is a list of criteria that should know before moving forward. The Austin City Council has recently passed a new ordinance that will limit the number of Short Term Rentals within certain neighborhoods and will require owners of Short Term Rental register with the City of Austin. Below is a quick overview of some things you should know before turning your property into a Short Term Rental:
- A Property that is considered non owner occupied and used for Short Term Rentals will now require registration with the City of Austin. A Short Term Rentals is now defined as having tenants who stay for 10 days or less at a property.
- The property is subject to a 15% Hotel Occupancy Tax. Click Here to learn more.
- The city can and will conduct health inspections on the property
- No more than 3% of the homes in a census tract can be used for short term rentals. A census tract, smaller than an area covered by a ZIP code, is home to about 4,000 people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
- All owners of Short Term Rental properties in Austin must register their homes with the City of Austin.
- Rules will go into effect October 1st 2012. The City will increase the number of inspectors within the City Code Enforcement Division to help enforce these rules.
Click Here to read the Article featured in the Statesman on 8/8/12
News Video on the new rules passed by the Austin City Council on August 3rd 2012
Video on the popularity of Short Term Rentals in Austin TX during SXSW